Running DNS on a pacbell DSL static ip

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jun 21 20:04:48 UTC 1999

In article <7ki6go$d2d$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <pvmedia at my-deja.com> wrote:
>I posted this in comp.dcom.xdsl because I'm trying to get a dns server
>running on my linux box with a static ip served by Pacbell DSL.  I'm
>still waiting for internic to update my domain dns info.  But this is
>what I have so far:
>
>The dilema is that pacbell will not provide any dns routing to my
>single ip unless I give them a lot more money.  So I'll happily do it
>myself.  The confusion starts when my ip is already mapped to something
>like this:
>
>adsl-216-101-213-155.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net
>
>But I want it mapped to mybogusdomain.com

You can't change the reverse mapping without the ISP's help.  But it
shouldn't matter, you can have multiple names point to the same address,
and you don't need to have reverse mappings for every name.

>Since John's example is in NT-speak, I am trying my best to make a
>linux equivalent.
>As far as I understand, there are 4 key files to deal with:
>
>named.conf
>127.0.0
>216.101.213
>mybogusdomain.com

Since the entire 216.101.213 reverse domain has not been assigned to you,
you do not deal with that file.

>In the named.conf file, I have:
>zone "." {
>        type hint;
>        file "root.hints";
>};
>zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>        type master;
>        file "pz/127.0.0";
>};
>zone "mybogusdomain.com" {
>        notify no;  //will change to yes when I get it right
>        type master;
>        file "pz/mybogusdomain.com";
>};

That looks fine.

>The other three files have "host.mybogusdomain.com" as the SOA,
>not "adsl-216-101-213-155.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net"  If I do use this
>long name of pacbell's, my name resolution becomes:
>"mybogusdomain.com.adsl-216-101-213-155.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net"
>
>What am I doing wrong?  Do I really need to use pacbell's long name
>somewhere?  Why?

Nothing currently cares about the hostname in the SOA record.  You can put
your host.mybogusdomain.com there and it should work fine.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com