multiple DN per 1 ip addrs

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jun 21 20:59:53 UTC 1999

In article <199906211818.OAA08679 at fw1.osis.gov>,
Joseph S D Yao  <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote:
>> I've been promoting linux as perfect solution for local .orgs etc. and
>> now am "given" an IP address with server to prove it's ability.  Need
>> help finding answers to following question ASAP:
>
>Set yourself up, eh?  ;-)  Very easily doable, of course.
>
>> Where can I find out how to set-up DNS for multiple domains (such as
>> domain1.org, domain2.org et cetera) going to one ip number but separate
>directories?
>
>Why separate directories?

I think he's referring to separate directories on the web server, so that
http://www.domain1.org/ displays a different page than
http://www.domain2.org/, despite the fact that www.domain1.org and
www.domain2.org point to the same IP address.

>> Machine is running RH 6.0+updates.
>>
>> Is the configuration in Bind, or Apache? Or do I add a CGI/Perl routine
>> or?  Is there a specific phrase that refers to this process?
>
>BIND, of course.  Else why ask the BIND newsgroup/mailing list?

You also have to put things in the Apache configuration to specify a
different DocumentRoot for each virtual host.  If you need more information
about this, ask in the comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix newsgroup.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com