multiple DN per 1 ip addrs

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jun 21 18:18:01 UTC 1999

> I've been promoting linux as perfect solution for local .orgs etc. and
> now am "given" an IP address with server to prove it's ability.  Need
> help finding answers to following question ASAP:

Set yourself up, eh?  ;-)  Very easily doable, of course.

> Where can I find out how to set-up DNS for multiple domains (such as
> domain1.org, domain2.org et cetera) going to one ip number but separate directories?

Why separate directories?

> Machine is running RH 6.0+updates.
>
> Is the configuration in Bind, or Apache? Or do I add a CGI/Perl routine
> or?  Is there a specific phrase that refers to this process?

BIND, of course.  Else why ask the BIND newsgroup/mailing list?

> I know how to set-up dns master for one d-name per ip address-number,
> and have read O'reilly's DNS + BIND etc., but still unclear about procedure/protocol...
>
> Need to know for http, interested in solutions for MX, ftp, telnet etc. also.

There are not separate solutions.  One size fits all.  Just be sure to
have appropriate MX records in your zone files.

The following is for BIND 8.*.  Similar but non-identical statements
are true for BIND 4.*, which is not recommended.

In your /etc/named.conf file, have a different "zone" statement for
each domain, and a different "zone" statement for each reverse DNS
domain:

zone "domain1.net"	IN	{
	type master;
	file "domain1-file";
};

zone "domain2.net"	IN	{
	type master;
	file "domain2-file";
};

etc.

zone "12.11.10.in-arpa.addr"	IN	{
	type master;
	file "zone.10.11.12.0";
};

If you really want the files to be in different directories, you can
declare them so: "directory1/file1", ...  But why?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B