DNS Delegation problem.

Tim Hogard thogard at abnormal.com
Tue Jun 22 05:20:47 UTC 1999

Steven Rostron (srostron at microlink.com.au) wrote:
: I have been trying to delegate a "com.au" domain name but am having a few
: problems. When I try to delegate the name I get the error that one DNS
: server is not listed by the other, I have now tried 3 combinations that the
: hosting company has given me. The authority for registering the names in
: Australia says it's the hosting companys fault, while the hosting company
: says it's the Australian authoritys fault for not being able to load their
: DNS details.

: Anyone had similar problems or knows whose fault this really is?

: Regards
: Steven

This fun problem.
Check: (these are for .com.au, net.au is its own strange case)
1) each name server's forward resolution matches their reverse resolution.
2) Make sure they are all accessable from the outside.
3) make sure they are all listed as NS records.
4) make sure that only things listed in NS records are listed on the delegation form.
5) Makesure NAT isn't causing problems.

Its nice that they make sure DNS servers are working correctly when you delegate but
it can be a royal pain when you have to switch DNS servers in a hurry.

Now if anyone knows hot to get bind 8.* to say its authoritative when
its not, I would love to know the trick.  I've got a box that lives on 192.168.*.*
that is my backup dns server but because of the rules of the aunic, If I list
its self as authortative using the 192.168.** address then it will report
one of its NS records is 192.168.*.* which I don't want since its on the far
side of a cisco doing NAT (which only wokrs with udp, not tcp so zone transfers
are fun too).

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com