why need cache if has forward-only

Clayton Tang ctang at escape.com
Thu Nov 4 02:42:15 UTC 1999

Hi,

can someone that a look at this... this is a corp subdomain DNS server.

In my named.boot file I have

forwarders    10.20.30.40 ; corp root dns
option forward-only
[....]
cache     .      named.cache

In my named.cache file I have

..    IN    NS    dbna.com.
dbna.com.   IN   A   10.20.30.40

My questions are

1) in general, if I use forward-only, then do I need a cache file? The cache
file lists root servers that I would query without a forwarder directive or
if forwarder fails. Since all non-local-domain lookups are only going to the
forwarders, why do I care where the root servers are?

2) in my case, the corp root DNS is my forwarder. So even without a
"forward-only" option, I don't need the cache file, right?

3) unrelated to the files above.... I know named will cache results for name
lookups outside of my domain. How do I know how many results have been
cached, where are they cached, which ones are cached, etc.? Is there a tool
to examine the cached results?

Thanks, responds by email would be great.

Clayton