Weird nslookup problem (from O'Reilly book, page 84)

Chris chris at tourneyland.com
Sun Nov 7 17:34:57 UTC 1999

Howdy

I'm setting up DNS on my little network here. Well actually I've had
it going for about a month, but I didn't really know what I was doing,
so I've bought the O'Reilly book and am going through it. I've gotten
to the part called 'Testing my Setup' (pages 82-84). Everything is
fine, until I get to 'One more test', in which I use another name
server to look up my hosts. Neat trick! I was calling friends to try
and ping me. Trouble is, I flunked, and I don't know why.

What I'm trying to find is www.tourneyland.net. My default domain is
tourneyland.net, and nslookup www works fine. nslookup
www.tourneyland.net gatekeeper.dec.com fails though, as does nslookup
www.tourneyland.net 151.164.1.8 (that's my ISP's name server). What's
strange is that doing the same nslookups with mail.tourneyland.net, or
other hosts works fine. Only www fails.

To summarize . . .
Bad:
nslookup www.tourneyland.net gatekeeper.dec.com
nslookup www.tourneyland.net 151.164.1.8
Good:
nslookup mail.tourneyland.net gatekeeper.dec.com
nslookup mail.tourneyland.net 151.164.1.8
nslookup ftp.tourneyland.net 151.164.1.8

And so forth. I've cut-n-pasted my RR file at the bottom. As you can
see, www, mail, and ftp are equivalent, so why they're acting
differently is beyond me. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Chris

@       IN      SOA     hoss.tourneyland.net.	root.tourneyland.net.
			(
			199909283       ;
			8H              ;
			2H              ;
			1W              ;
			1D)             ;

	TXT     "Welcome To TourneyLand!!!"
	NS      hoss          ;
	NS      bessie        ;
	MX      10 mail;
			;

; localhost
localhost	A	127.0.0.1

; network (I don't know why this is here)
tourneyland.net.	A	216.62.177.0
			MX	10 mail

; Everyone's name and IP address
momma		A	216.62.177.1