Anyone knows what setting of DNS will causes a slow connectio n to FTP and TELNET??

Adrian Goins Adrian at mamamedia.com
Mon Nov 8 18:39:16 UTC 1999

redhat, i believe, comes with a default installation of tcpd (tcp wrappers).
check /etc/inetd.conf for the lines for ftpd and telnetd.  if they have tcpd
in them, then what is hanging is a reverse lookup on the client.  if the
client does not have valid reverse DNS, or if the server responsible for the
client's IP block is unavailable, you'll have to sit there until it times
out.

you can fix this by adjusting the PARANOID option in tcpd (see the manpage
for hosts_access.5 and hosts_options.5), or recompiling to remove -DPARANOID
(which would be a Bad Thing).

Adrian Goins <adrian at mamamedia.com>
Website Server Manager
212.334.3277 x417