FAO: Barry Margolin

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Nov 8 18:36:43 UTC 1999

In article <806bvq$mfj$1 at soap.pipex.net>,
Marc Redmile-Gordon <marc at carsplus.co.uk> wrote:
>Thanks Barry,
>
>That would explain a few "funnies" !
>
>But...
>Don't I at least need one entry for their server to get the names of all the
>other hosts ?
>
>Or do I have to telnet using their IP address ?
>
>OR, can I use my /etc/hosts file for the "first point of contact" name
>translation for the remote sites ... ? ( in conjunction with DNS )

I'm having *lots* of trouble understanding what you're confused about.
Your server finds remote hosts by starting from the root servers and
working its way down the DNS hierarchy, just like any other server on the
Internet does.  The root server hints file provides the "first point of
contact" that allows you to look up anything on the Internet.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com