FAO: Barry Margolin

Marc Redmile-Gordon marc at carsplus.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 19:18:52 UTC 1999

The remote servers are NOT on the internet.  If I want to telnet to them I
must specify a route to the host on my server.
That route would go via an isdn to isdn router connection.  I could just add
a route and have no DNS involved at all.
Then I would have to type "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to get to the host I
want.
Alternatively, I can put an entry into /etc/hosts and type "telnet
hostname" - which would make my life a lot easier BUT it is not good
practise to use a hosts file alongside DNS is it not ?

So what I was trying to do was use purely DNS for all aspects of my
networking ( internal/external - live internet/dial-up routers )

with me ?

"The root server hints file provides the "first point of
> contact" that allows you to look up anything on the Internet."

What is a "hints file" ?

Thanks Barry,

Your time and advice is much apreciated.

Best regards,
Marc.

news:%KEV3.75$u3.2025 at burlma1-snr2...