Nameserver with Custom Hostname

Bill Myers wmyers at tns-inc.com
Wed Nov 10 16:10:23 UTC 1999

Please help me understand the circumstances of a deadlock when A records time
out if delegation NS names differ from those listed in domains.  I have a
client with different NS names registered than listed in the domain, though
the ip addresses of the NSs agree. I need a good technical arguement to
encourage the domain owner to update the registrations, especially since it
sounds like this is a problem.

Which names are used in cache? The version from root, or the version from the
domain?
Do non-auth servers ever query the domain for NSs?
When an A RR ttl expires, does the non-auth NS query for the address of the NS
name originally obtained from root (or a parent domain) or for the NSs listed
from the domain?

TIA,

Bill Myers
Total Network Solutions