Nameserver with Custom Hostname

Mark_Andrews at iengines.com Mark_Andrews at iengines.com
Wed Nov 10 19:26:02 UTC 1999

> Please help me understand the circumstances of a deadlock when A records time
> out if delegation NS names differ from those listed in domains.  I have a
> client with different NS names registered than listed in the domain, though
> the ip addresses of the NSs agree. I need a good technical arguement to
> encourage the domain owner to update the registrations, especially since it
> sounds like this is a problem.

	It all has to do with trust levels of different answers from
	different sources.  Answers from the servers for the zone will not
	be replaced by those from the parent zone so when named goes back
	up the heirarchy to find missing glue it gets a referal from the
	parent zone back into the zone with a NS rrset which is not added
	added to the cache.  You then go looking for the A records again,
	don't have them and repeat.

	The NS records in the parent zone are supposed to be the same as
	the childs.  The only time when they should be different is when
	you are changing servers.  In this case the parent should be a subset
	to the childs servers.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com