Multiple domain zone in one DNS server.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Nov 10 18:19:18 UTC 1999

In article <80c44j$i9$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <tony_barratt at my-deja.com> wrote:
>hmmm, interesting. I'm trying to do +/- the same thing, add this zone
>to an existing server (.hosts file supplied!). However I'm stuck with
>(pre-historic) BIND 4.9, which has a named.boot file.
>Does the same apply to named.boot?
>my named.boot looks like:

Yes, why shouldn't it?  The only difference is the syntax, but the idea is
the same.

>directory /var/named
>; name to address lookups
>domain		adn
>primary		adn		db.adn
>; address to name lookups
>primary	0.00.127.in-addr.arpa db.127.0.0.rev
>primary 1.30.172.in-addr.arpa db.172.30.1.rev
><snip>
>I'm a bit puzzled as to how to add another domain/zone to this file,
>I'm going to read the Oreilly's cricket book again, but if soemone
>could advice on the correct syntax I'd be mighty pleased.
>Frank, you might want to take a look at h2n which takes a hosts file as
>input and spits out the required DNS files.

Just add more "primary" lines.

I simply don't understand why this isn't intuitively obvious.  You
currently have three zones (adn, 0.00.127.in-addr.arpa, and
1.30.172.in-addr.arpa) in there, why do you think a fourth would be any
different?

BTW, the '00' should be '0' in the second "primary" line.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com