Validating named configuration files before "reload"?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Nov 10 23:05:39 UTC 1999

In article <199911101927.OAA13677 at mailboy.risq.qc.ca>,
Pierre Belanger  <belanger at risq.qc.ca> wrote:
>Is there a simple way to validate the named.conf file and all included
>files?

There's an nslint program that's included with BIND, although I don't know
if it's been updated to know about named.conf format (actually, I think it
may only check zone files, not boot/conf files).

You could start up another instance of named, specifying an alternate port
to use on the command line (so it wouldn't interfere with the real named)
and check the log to see if any warnings come out.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com