What's $TTL for??

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Nov 10 23:14:33 UTC 1999

In article <3829E4F6.55A2FE03 at bnl.gov>, Frank Lepera  <flep at bnl.gov> wrote:
>Can someone tell me what the new $TTL zone file entry is about??
>I thought the SOA expire field was used for minimum TTL for the zone.

$TTL is for setting the default TTL for records that don't have an explicit
TTL.  Previously, the SOA Minimum field was used for this (the SOA Expire
field has never had anything to do with it -- that field only affects slave
servers), but that's now the negative cache TTL, as specified in RFC 2308.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com