localhost or loopback

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Nov 12 20:06:19 UTC 1999

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 05:54:07PM -0800, Jin Cui wrote:
> Anybody know what's the different to set up /etc/hosts
>
> 	1)	127.0.0.1	localhost
> 	2)	127.0.0.1	loopback
>
> I saw both in different system.

No real difference.  Just different conventions.  I believe that
"localhost" is the more common convention; but at one point I believe
that I had collected the following aliases from various systems:

127.0.0.1	localhost loopback loop lo

Whatever you have in /etc/hosts, make sure that it is mirrored in your
BIND configuration, or most hosts in your system will just be unaware of
it.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B