Setting up an Exchange Server on a residential DSL line

Broadleaf broadleaf at compuserve.com
Thu Nov 18 02:29:07 UTC 1999

1-If you brought your DNS in-house (using MS DNS), the ISP couldn't tell you
what to do.  But if they're only giving you one IP address, you won't be
able to provide InterNIC with primary and secondary DNS servers -- so it
won't work.
2-You might be able to get a third-party provider to just give you DNS
service for a small fee, then have *them* list the MX.
3-If you had your mail "mailbagged" by another ISP, you could retrieve it
from Exchange without worrying about the MX at PacBell.  But then you'd be
paying that other ISP for SMTP service -- I don't know what prices you'll
get.

You'll probably be able to get a better deal than $30.00 (for NOTHING -- as
they're just afraid you'll suck up bandwidth YOU"RE ALREADY PAYING FOR!)
using one or more of the above.  Post again if you need more help.