TYPE=ANY and missing records

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sat Nov 20 07:09:24 UTC 1999

> Problem is that any requests with TYPE=ANY seem
> to only return the NS records - which is not good
> as sendmail only requests ANY, then A (most
> domains don't have an A record for their domain),
> thus the mail simply queues up.

No version of sendmail I know of only does ANY and A
queries.  They all do MX queries, too.

See, ANY, as you've found out, doesn't mean "all."  It
means "Whatever you've already got or can find."
ANY queries return whatever records are cached for
the name, or whatever records are first returned by a
remote name server for the zone containing the name.

> We go through several firewalls and ISPs for
> Internet access (mail, web). Talking to our
> primary ISP (who use BIND), they notice the same
> problem, even when pointing directly to a number
> of external DNS's. Although when they talk to the
> DNS for the domain in question it seems to
> provide the correct records.

Yup.  On the authoritative name servers for the zone,
ANY is the same as "all," because the authoritative
name server has all of the records for the name.

> As well when you do a query for MX explicitly,
> then try the query for ANY again it then returns
> NS and MX records. Likewise with SOA records.
> Here I'm not even looking for other records.
>
> Do other people see this problem? How widespread
> is it? Could it be related to (IPS's) upgrading
> to a recent version of bind? Has anyone a
> solution?

I don't think this is a BIND problem at all.  It may have
something to do with your mailer's configuration.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.