Validating named configuration files before "reload"?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sat Nov 20 22:04:40 UTC 1999

> I agree that it would be nice to have a means to check the config file,
> a zone files, prior to sending a "ndc reload" (shouldn't use kill -HUP
> with the newer BINDs).
>
> How about starting up a second copy of named using a different port and
> then watching your syslog output for errors.  (Can the port number be
> specified in the config file?  For that matter, can you still specify
> an alternate port on the command line?)  When everything is correct,
> then you can restart the real one.
>
> This idea would have some "gotchas" to work out before using.  For
> example, how would you control the second version of named?  ndc won't
> work with two copies (I don't think).

It will if you use the -p option to specify an alternate PID file or the -c
option to specify an alternate UNIX domain socket.  You'd also need
to reset the PID file for the "test" server with options { pid-file <>; };
or
the path to the control socket with a controls statement.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.