Log Entries DoS Attacks

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Nov 22 07:45:46 UTC 1999

In article <199911211334.IAA22261 at advdata.net>,  <wwebb at adni.net> wrote:
>Can someone please explain the significance of these log entries?
>
>Nov 20 23:34:43 www named[2436]: ns_forw:
>query(www.mdwg.mer.cap.gov) contains
>our address (ns1.cap.gov:198.88.0.19)

There's a delegation record for the mdwg.mer.cap.gov domain that lists
ns1.cap.gov as one of its authoritative servers.  However, the address of
ns1.cap.gov points to this machine, and it doesn't have that domain
installed on it.

>Nov 21 07:37:09 www named[2436]: dangling CNAME pointer
>(rs.internic.net)

Your machine thinks that rs.internic.net is an alias that points to a
nonexistent name.  I'm not sure why it thinks this; the authoritative
server for that name doesn't have a CNAME record for it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com