Validating named configuration files before "reload"?

Dave Carmean dave at west.net
Mon Nov 22 16:41:51 UTC 1999

Another late reply:  Here's how I've just started doing it:

I first imported all the existing zone and config files into a CVS
repository.  Then, I broke named.conf into two parts, so that while
the main body is stable, I have a named.conf.test with special debugging
stuff.

To make changes, I first perform a cvs checkout or update to a
working directory.  Then I invoke named with the named.conf.test
config, which runs named on a non-standard port.  It also logs a debugging
channel to a file, which I scan for errors, warnings, etc.

Also, the named.conf.test includes bogus parent zones so that I can run
doc and dnswalk against the test config.

Once I'm satisfied, I commit the changes, update the production directories
with the new versions, and do the reload.