"host" Vs "nslookup"

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Nov 29 23:40:16 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.A41.4.21.9911291559400.17310-100000 at pegasus.unm.edu>,
Farid Hamjavar  <hamjavar at unm.edu> wrote:

>bind 8.2.2-p5
>
>Mystery:
>
>This behavior started as of upgrading to
>8.2.2-p5.
>
>On the primary dns server:
>
>% nslookup
>Default Server:  localhost
>Address:  127.0.0.1
>

>> ls -d unm.edu
>[localhost]
>*** Can't list domain unm.edu:Query refused
>>

>given that have not added any new feature
>to our named.conf, then
>why the above is happening?

Newer versions of BIND have more validity checking of zone files than older
versions.  For instance, prior to 8.2.2, CNAME and other data resulted in a
warning, but the zone wasn't rejected; now it is.  Check your syslog for
errors.

>The mystery part is that I can replicate
>the above using the command "host".

Did you mean to say "I can't replicate"?  If not, I don't see the mystery,
since it would be normal for nslookup and host to give consistent results.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com