my problem or what?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Nov 30 15:15:36 UTC 1999

In article <s461n80mvm13 at corp.supernews.com>, David <david at wmol.com> wrote:
>i did a 'host wmol.com internet1.acd.net' but it comes back with host not
>found.

The problem is with the slave servers at UUNET: they don't have the zone
loaded.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS.WMOL.COM			208.242.83.254
   NS2.WMOL.COM			208.242.83.253
   AUTH02.NS.UU.NET		198.6.1.82
   AUTH60.NS.UU.NET		198.6.1.181

Actually, AUTH60 appears to have the zone loaded, but it's answering
non-authoritatively with an old version of the zone (serial 1999090901
versus 1999111501 on the master server).  Presumably it was able to
transfer the zone in the past, but you've since added an allow-transfer
statement to your configuration that blocks it, and the zone has expired.

If you don't want UUNET to provide secondary DNS service, you should update
your InterNIC registration to remove them from the server list and tell
UUNET to remove the slave entries from their configuration.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com