Strange configuration

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Nov 30 16:26:29 UTC 1999

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 06:51:30PM +0000, Marek Narkiewicz wrote:
> Here is my problem. I have a server in a network belongiing to an isp. Unfortunatley I need
> frequent access to DNS services as I virtual host more and more domains on that machine.
> The ISP in question are terribly unreliable and often take up to two weeks to add records to
> their dns servers for me. I have configured BIND as per the manual and was ready to go live
> when a thought struck me. I had no idea how reverse dns could be handled. As my computer
> 212.41.41.71 was part of a subnet belonging to someone else how would I go about setting up
> a DNS server with correectly working forward and reverse lookup? Is this possible and if so do i
> need to get my ISP or internic to update any records or am I worrying unnecessarily and can I
> just make a 41.41.212.in-addr.arpa SOA and just specify my machine in it?
> Please respond quickly as I am running late. :-)
> cheers,
> --
> Marek Narkiewicz, Webmaster Intercreations
> Reply to <-marek @ intercreations . com->
> "Dogs are everywhere"
> Pulp
> Dogs are Everywhere

Not so strange a configuration.  Apparently, pretty common, in fact.

*** ns.osis.gov can't find 212.41.41.71: Non-existent host/domain

OK, your ISP doesn't have reverse DNS set up for you.  Request them to
do so for your primary name.  You don't need to add anything for any
additional names.

Hmmm ... AFAICT, your ISP doesn't have reverse DNS set up, period.  Is
switching providers an option?  Or, is the IP address above incorrect?

Setting up a reverse DNS zone without having the parent point to it
would be just as pointless as setting up your forward domain zones and
not having the domains' parents point to them.  Nobody would be able to
use them.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B