Upgrading Bind?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Nov 30 22:14:24 UTC 1999

Takacs Istvan" <istvan.takacs at szerencsejatek.hu> wrote:
>I have to upgrade to 8.2.2patch5 on
>a Solaris 2.5.1 box, but it uses the Bind
>8.1.1.
>
>Is that enough, if I just compile the new Bind
>and it overwrites the old one, or do I have to
>do anything else, too?

I would build BIND 8.2.2-P5 in some directory of your choosing.
As for installing the binaries, I am not sure what is done in the
final step of the recommended installation process.  What I did
was to copy the new binaries
     named
     named-xfer
     nslookup
     dig
     ndc
to the execution directory (in my case /export/home/named)
with "-822p5" suffixes.  Then I wrote a script to rename the current
executables to _______-812 and rename the _____-822p5 executables to
_____.  I wrote another script to reverse the process in case I had
to back out the changes.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov