Ordering of forward-zones in BIND 8

Christian Schneider mail at Christian-Schneider.de
Tue Oct 5 08:26:45 UTC 1999

Hi DNS-experts,

I've come up with a question about the new feature of per-zone forwarding in
BIND 8:

My understanding is that it is possible to add a local forwarder-statement
to a zone in the conf-file which then overrides the global forwarder
settings. Is there some kind of order of presence in it? I mean, for
example:

zone "mydomain.com" in {
    forwarders { "internal DNS-server" }
}

zone ".com" in {
    forwarders { "external Internet root DNS-server" }
}

will this forward queries about the non-advertised (only internally
existing) zone "mydomain.com" to the internal DNS and all other queries
about the zone ".com" into the Internet? Note, that mydomain.com is only
internal, and therefore no delegation from the Internet is made....

I know that this "construct" does not make real sense, but I just started
thinking about using this "construct" to solve a problem with an internal
DNS-root-structure and the need for transparent (non-proxy) internet access
of some clients which should access a delegated internal DNS-server only...
So I'm still in the thinking-about-it-phase instead of the concrete
planning...

What do you think about it?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
- Chris