Ordering of forward-zones in BIND 8

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Oct 5 15:51:48 UTC 1999

In article <7tcdmd$rp7$1 at bnews.gigabell.net>,
Christian Schneider <mail at Christian-Schneider.de> wrote:
>Hi DNS-experts,
>
>I've come up with a question about the new feature of per-zone forwarding in
>BIND 8:
>
>My understanding is that it is possible to add a local forwarder-statement
>to a zone in the conf-file which then overrides the global forwarder
>settings. Is there some kind of order of presence in it? I mean, for
>example:

I would expect the most specific one to be used.

>zone "mydomain.com" in {
>    forwarders { "internal DNS-server" }
>}
>
>zone ".com" in {

That should be:

zone "com" in {

>    forwarders { "external Internet root DNS-server" }
>}
>

>will this forward queries about the non-advertised (only internally
>existing) zone "mydomain.com" to the internal DNS and all other queries
>about the zone ".com" into the Internet? Note, that mydomain.com is only
>internal, and therefore no delegation from the Internet is made....

Yes, that's what it should do.

>I know that this "construct" does not make real sense, but I just started
>thinking about using this "construct" to solve a problem with an internal
>DNS-root-structure and the need for transparent (non-proxy) internet access
>of some clients which should access a delegated internal DNS-server only...
>So I'm still in the thinking-about-it-phase instead of the concrete
>planning...

I'm not sure why you don't use the global forwarders statement for this.
Why would you want to forward for other .com domains, but not .org, .net,
etc.?  Are you going to be doing different forwarding for different
top-level domains?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com