8.2.2 (t4b)

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Oct 5 16:44:48 UTC 1999

> I need a Bind-Version which supports IPv6 transport (i.e. IPv6 address
> in resolv.conf).
> I heard that the latest testversion should support IPv6 transport. Does
> anyone out there know if this is true, espacially with which IPv6 stacks
> does it work (Linux ??, FreeBSD with KAME ??, FreeBSD with INRIA ??).

I believe that 'named' has worked with IPv6 [using the AAAA instead of
A resource records] since about BIND 8.2.  It should not matter which
stack, since DNS runs quite a bit higher than that.  I don't know
whether the resolver has been tested with this ... but it doesn't make
much sense to have the server serve something that nobody can use.  ;-)
[Quick look.]  Well, darn, src/lib/inet/inet_addr.c:inet_aton() does
not interpret IPv6 addresses: only IPv4 ones, in BIND 8.2 and 8.2.1.  I
have not yet downloaded 8.2.2-beta-#.

Disclaimer: I haven't been fortunate enough to be in a position to try
it out.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B