8.2.2 (t4b)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Oct 5 17:20:09 UTC 1999

In article <199910051644.MAA12296 at fw1-a.osis.gov>,
Joseph S D Yao  <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote:
>> I need a Bind-Version which supports IPv6 transport (i.e. IPv6 address
>> in resolv.conf).
>> I heard that the latest testversion should support IPv6 transport. Does
>> anyone out there know if this is true, espacially with which IPv6 stacks
>> does it work (Linux ??, FreeBSD with KAME ??, FreeBSD with INRIA ??).
>
>I believe that 'named' has worked with IPv6 [using the AAAA instead of
>A resource records] since about BIND 8.2.  It should not matter which
>stack, since DNS runs quite a bit higher than that.

I think he wants his named to be able to send and receive queries/responses
using v6 datagrams.  Named does a number of things in its use of the TCP/IP
stack that are specific to the underlying protocol.  For instance, it binds
UDP sockets to each of the IP addresses of the host, and would need to use
different calls to bind to each of the v6 addresses.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com