I'm so confused!!

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Oct 7 19:15:31 UTC 1999

> Okay, I'm trying to prepare a Sun machine to replace an older Sun
> machine that is currently running my primary DNS server. I installed
> Solaris 7 on the newer box, while the older one runs 2.6. Solaris 2.6
> comes with a version of BIND 4, but Solaris 7 comes with BIND 8 (I think
> someone here said it was 8.1).
>
> I posted a message about converting 4 to 8, which was graciously
> answered by Barry. Unfortunately, by the time I read his answer, I - at
> times a bit over-zealous - had already downloaded and installed BIND
> 4.9.7. In order to do this, I had to make a number of changes, including
> the commenting-out of certain sections of /usr/include/unistd.h
> (otherwise the make failed).

You DID put the changes under the Source Code Control System (SCCS) or
the Revision Control System (RCS), didn't you?  ;->

> In preparation for the switch-out of my two machines, I've given the
> newer machine the same hostname and ip address as the old one, so it's
> not currently attached to the network.
>
> So now I've got 4.9.7 installed, but something's not quite right. When I
> do an nslookup on the domains that this server is *supposed* to be
> primary for, it comes back with the correct answer, but saying that the
> information is "non-authoritative".
>
> Now I've read Barry's original response to me, in which he tells me to
> just run named-bootconf, which would give me the necessary named.conf
> file. So I guess, here are my questions:
>
> 1. Should I continue with 4.9.7?

No.

>     1a. Why isn't it coming up quite right?

Perhaps because of some small error in the zone file.  Look in your
'syslog' output for details.

> 2. Should I move back to 8?

Yes.

>     2a. Which version? The one that came with Solaris 7, or should I
> install the
>            newest one I downloaded from isc.org?

The latter.  Look for 8.2.2 soon.

>     2b. If I do try to switch back, should I uncomment-out the section
> of that library
>           file?

Yes.

> My needs are fairly simple, I think. I'm not at all sure that I need the
> enhanced-ness of BIND 8. Any comments would be appreciated!

Would you like it to be more bug-free and more hacker-proof?  ;-)

> -----
> David Spigelman
> Network Administrator
> American Center for Physics