A plea to PSI and other clueless DNS Admins

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 8 22:34:47 UTC 1999

In article <043d01bf11dc$85dd1880$b477a8ce at acmebw.com>,
Cricket Liu <cricket at acmebw.com> wrote:
>> Ofcourse they also say that stub
>> records are NOT RFC compliant, hence they won't include them in thier
>> implementation of DNS.
>
>I believe you mean stub zones, and again, I think they're right.  Stub zones
>have been labelled experimental for as long as I can remember, even
>though they're very useful.  And I've never seen an RFC that formalizes
>their definition or use.

Nothing in the named.boot or named.conf files has ever been covered by any
RFC.  How you configure a name server is purely an implementation-specific
issue, and has no impact on the protocol.  I'm not even sure why the zone
master file format needed to be specified in an RFC; there are several DNS
servers that take their input via a GUI rather than files in this format
(e.g. MS DNS Manager, Cisco Network Registrar).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com