alternate port / alternate way for master DNS zone xfers ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Oct 12 14:07:04 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9910120129470.1774-100000 at ann.ied.com>,
Jan Vicherek  <honza at ied.com> wrote:
>   I am behind a firewall which doesn't allow the slave from the outside
>contact the master (me), because the DNS tcp port is disabledn at the
>firewall (to which I have no access). But machines from outsides are
>allowed to do the usual udp lookups on the master.

Tell the network administrator that they need to allow TCP DNS through so
that slave DNS will work.  Either they should allow this, or they should
move your master server outside the firewall.  The configuration they've
set up makes little sense (unless they didn't actually authorize this
setup, in which case you're probably violating your company's policy and
you should stop).

>   Is there a way to tell the slave to xfer the domain in some other way
>(or through some other port) than the usual ?

You could configure the slave as a master and use an ordinary file transfer
protocol to copy the zone files.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com