Minimal distribution of BIND binaries

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Oct 12 22:19:48 UTC 1999

> Hi again all,
>
> We are about to distribute the BIND binaries to some 300+ servers some of
> which are accross slow links.  These servers will be running as cache
> servers only.
>
> I want to reduce the distribution set to just necessary server files and
> client files.  At the moment the file set I have:
> ./bin
> nslookup
> dig

	Personally I would just chmod 000 the existing nslookup and not
	bother distributing the one from the BIND distribution.  As a
	diagnostic tool dig is far superior.

> ./lib
> libbind.a
> libbind.r.a

	The libraries are not required as all binaries are statically linked.

> nslookup.help

	See comment above.

> ./sbin
> named
> ndc

	I would alway ship named-xfer with named.

	As an aside, I generally set up namservers with all the
	zones required for the site to run independent of the rest
	of the world.  This is a mimimum of the reverse zone for
	the sight (if classless the delegating zone as well) and
	all zones listed in the search lists including implicit
	search lists.

> This seems to work OK - any issues with only sending these files (+ config
> files ...).
>
> I was unable to work out what ./sbin/irpd was - still can't make the man
> pages properly ;).

	It's our version of a local service caching daemon.  By default
	nothing uses it.  It's use can be enabled via irs.conf.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org