DNS "stalls" on Solaris2.6/BIND8

Andrew Sinclair andrew at internetnorth.com.au
Mon Oct 18 04:02:56 UTC 1999

Hi All

I'm experiencing an intermittent fault on a new name server I'm setting
up under Solaris.

When resolving names (locally set up or remote, authoritative or not, in
cache or not) it sometimes takes several minutes to respond. Then the
next second the same lookup works instantly. Then at some random
interval a particular address mike not resolve again, then it works fine
again etc.etc. This can be from a telnet session on the box itself
(e.g.. ping host.domain.com or a remote PC using it as a NS)

The problem can be seen on an Ultra Sparc running Solaris 2.6 (all the
latest Recommended patches applied). Other 4.9.7, 8.1.2 or 8.2.1
installations on similar boxes with similar configs etc. work fine. The
box has heaps of RAM, disk and CPU to spare though it is doing plenty of
other things (very fast!)

I suspect a problem with either the resolver libraries or memory but I'm
really guessing. The only clues I have is that nslookup works fine all
the time and named is not growing large in RAM like it used to under
BIND 4.9.7 as the cache built up.

Anyone who has some experience, clues, hunches, good tools, similar
horror stories or the meaning of life to share, your input would be
appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew Sinclair                 Ph  (07) 4033 2311
Technical Director              Fax (07) 4033 6022
Internet North                  email: andrew at internetnorth.com.au
A division of EISA Limited      www.internetnorth.com.au
ISP for Cairns and North Qld    PO Box 12272D Cairns Qld 4870