Help with multiple domains

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Mon Oct 18 17:06:46 UTC 1999

    Kelly> I'm trying to set up my box so that I can recieve mail for
    Kelly> multiple domains on one box.   Both domains will resolve to
    Kelly> the same IP address. The problem I'm having is when  a
    Kelly> message is sent to the secondary domain I get this error in
    Kelly> the email bounced back to the sender.

    Kelly> 553 secondary.domain.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
    Kelly> problem?)
    Kelly> 554 <username at secondary.domain.com>... Local configuration error

You usually get this error from sendmail when the target of an MX
record is a CNAME instead of an A record.

    Kelly> Right now it is

    Kelly> secondary.domain.com    IN    MX 30    hostname.primary.domain.com

Is hostname.primary.domain.com an A record or a CNAME? If it's the
latter, you need to make it an A record. ie in the zone file for
primary.domain.com, there's an entry like:
	hostname.primary.domain.com. IN A 172.16.1.1

Not too you probably have to do something to sendmail.cf so that it
recognises that username at secondary.domain.com is for local delivery.

If you had told us the actual domain names, it would have been a help.