Resolving domain.com versus machine.domain.com

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 21 20:26:25 UTC 1999

In article <7unn9l$r31$1 at brokaw.wa.com>,
Scot Harkins at Thurman Industries <scoth at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Can we allow "scn.org" to resolve to "scn.scn.org" (or any other machine we
>choose) without compromising our configuration or options?

You can't make scn.org a CNAME record, if that's what you're asking.  But
there's no prohibition on making it an A record with the same address as
scn.scn.org.  You could also make scn.scn.org be a CNAME that points to
scn.org, so that the address appears once.

Haven't we answered this question a zillion times?  I guess there's nothing
obvious to search for in deja.com to find the past discussions on this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com