chroot questions

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Thu Oct 21 21:43:50 UTC 1999

Hi all.  I'm attempting to install bind-8.2.2tb8 on my Sparc 2.6 box,
using the -t chroot option.  I'd also like to compile it statically.  I'm
sorry if this is a dupe, I didn't see it go thru.

I'm having difficulty doing both.  I've always had difficulty compiling
solaris programs statically, despite using -static with gcc.  If I can't
compile it statically, does it really make sense to copy all the necessary
libraries into the chroot?  If so, does anyone know off-hand which
libraries are required, or will "ldd named" tell me everything I need to
know?

When using the chroot option, I'm able to figure out how to get it to use
the normal syslog capability.  Which devices do I need to create, or is it
just null and log?  I found a program called holelogd, but it doesn't
appear to work with Solaris?

Perhaps someone has built a statically-linked, chroot'd bind as a package?
If it would help, after I figure this out, I'll do that..

Thanks,
Dave