Configuration question of caching only name servers

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Oct 25 14:48:29 UTC 1999

> 2 of my current Name Servers used by DNS-clients will be replaced by new
> ones.They server as Name Servers only for our internal IP-network; no
> Internet connection and name resolution.
> All DNS-clients referring to the old ones should be able to use them for
> name resolution during a transition period.
> I thought to configure the old ones as caching only name servers.
>
> I've read the paragraph "Caching-Only Servers" in DNS and BIND and thought
> it would be easy. I made the named.boot (BIND4), configured the zone file
> for 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa and I installed a root cache file. The last file
> has been changed to contain only the root server data for our internal
> IP-network. Unfortunately it doesn't work so far.
>
> Did I miss somewhat?

You say these name servers don't have a connection to the Internet.  What
did you put in the root hints file?  Do you use internal root name servers?
Without internal root name servers or connectivity to the Internet, about
the only configuration you can use on these internal name servers is to have
them use other internal name servers as forwarders.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.