if my ISP won't "let go" of the DNS for my IP then can I not put it in my DNS?

Stephen Carville carville at ugsolutions.com
Mon Oct 25 22:15:52 UTC 1999

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, pls at post.here.adam wrote:

[snip]

-However, as far as I can figure, if I have mysite.com registered and I
-maintain my own DNS or use someone like granitecanyon, then any user
-in the world who queries mysite.com will be directed to the DNS server
-authoritative for my domain name and that server will passre my IP to
-the user and they come to our site.  Isn't this correct?
-
-A problem that I might see is that I or granitecanyon would be
-"claiming" to be authoritative for an IP that is not rightfully ours.
-But since it *is* mine as long as I have DSL with them, is this
-actually true?  Nothing in my pre-sales literature or final infopack
-stated anything about not being able to use my own IP.

No.  Granitcanyon is claiming to be authoritive for the forward
lookup zone.  The in-addr.arpa zone still belongs to PacBell.  There
is really no problem here I can see.

-The other problem I can see is with reverse IP look ups since that, I
-guess *has* to go back to PacBell - can someone tell me I'm wrong and
-if so what I need to do?  I wonder how many things will break if my IP
-doesn't resolve back to my registered domain name.  I can't think of
-any server that would do that.  FTP sites that do a reverse DNS lookup
-would still get a valid hostname, just PacBells...  Am I missing
-anything here?

AFAIK, as long as the reverse lookup returns a legitimate name you
should be OK.  There have been some "secure" version of telnetd that
compare names but I don't know if anybody uses them any more.

-Things like MX should work since that info will come out of my own
-DNS, right?

Right.

-I also heard there were some "pseudo" DNS type services out there.
-While that is the *last* resort - I really want to get real DNS
-working as much for the experience as for keeping it simple - I would
-still appreciate pointers to more info about this as I failed to track
-down any such info.
-
-For now its the raw IP road so I am hoping someone can help
-

--
Stephen Carville
Renaissance Geek