Non-Authorative Domain ?

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Sep 2 16:01:15 UTC 1999

    James> Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me
    James> with a DNS problem I've been having.  I'm using a Linux PPC
    James> server to run my Primary DSN and serve my firm's domain
    James> name (insanely-great.co.uk) using Bind 4 (I think it's 4
    James> anyway).  Seconday DNS is run by our ISP (Cableinet).  We
    James> are running into a problem where the zone transfer will not
    James> work, Cableinet's DNS is saying that our DNS is 'not
    James> authoritative' for the 'insanely-great.co.uk' zone.
    James> They've checked our zone file and named.boot and as far as
    James> we can both tell these are configured correctly.  Does
    James> anyone know what we've done wrong ?

If your master (primary) name server isn't authoritative for your
domain, then there has to be something wrong with either the zone file
or named.boot file. [BTW BIND 4 is dead. You really should install
BIND8.] There should be a suitable error message in the logs, assuming
that syslog has been set up correctly. You might want to consider
posting these files here so that someone on the list can take a look
at them.

As it happens I've just checked the advertised name servers for this
domain. They both seem OK: they give authoritative answers. A zone
transfer of insanely-great.co.uk from dns.insanely-great.co.uk works
so it looks like you've found and fixed the problem already.