Non-Authorative Domain ?

James Chiswell Jones bisley at insanely-great.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 16:20:58 UTC 1999

>If your master (primary) name server isn't authoritative for your
>domain, then there has to be something wrong with either the zone file
>or named.boot file. [BTW BIND 4 is dead. You really should install
>BIND8.] There should be a suitable error message in the logs, assuming
>that syslog has been set up correctly. You might want to consider
>posting these files here so that someone on the list can take a look
>at them.

I didn't actually setup the server myself, so I'm not sure where the log
files are stored, but I'm going to find out. I can see that they would be
invaluable. My background is macs/PCs so this DNS admin stuff is
relatively new to me (using IP networks for a couple of years, but not
unix server admin).

>As it happens I've just checked the advertised name servers for this
>domain. They both seem OK: they give authoritative answers. A zone
>transfer of insanely-great.co.uk from dns.insanely-great.co.uk works
>so it looks like you've found and fixed the problem already.

Yes! I just checked with our ISP they just did a zone transfer about an
hour ago. Some changes were made shortly after my post (changed server
clock as it was incorrect and a missing ; was re-inserted into the zone
file).

Thanks for you quick response anyway,

James.

Insanely Great - 'Design - Multimedia - Consultancy'
Tel:   +44 (0)117 9145555 Fax:   +44 (0)117 9145000
Web:   http://www.insanely-great.co.uk/