One Nameserver Two Domains

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 6 06:55:08 UTC 1999

In article <W8DA3.548$3A3.9413 at paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>,
Russell <mailbo29 at softhome.net> wrote:
>I am wondering if I have these set up correctly
>
>I am using NT4.0 SP5 DNS manager
>
>I have  mydomain.com registered with internic with host at
>ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com and all is well
>
>A friend has a registered domain hisdomain.com and was using
>the registered service's name servers.  We submitted changes to move name
>service to my registered name servers ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
>
>The zone information for mydomain.com is
>mydomain.com        SOA        ns1.mydomain.com.,me at ip.net
>mydomain.com        NS            ns1.mydomain.com.
>mydomain.com        NS            ns2.mydomain.com.
>mydomain.com         A                xxx.xxx.71.250
>ns1                            A                xxx.xxx.71.249
>ns2                            A                xxx.xxx.71.250
>
>The zone infomation for hisdomain.com is
>hisdomain.com         SOA     ns1.mydomain.com.,me at ip.net
>hisdomain.com          NS        ns1.mydomain.com
>hisdomain.com         NS          ns2.mydomain.com
>hisdomain.com           A            xxx.xxx.71.252
>ns1                                A            xxx.xxx.71.249
>ns2                                A            xxx.xxx.71.250
>
>One Reverse Zone
>71.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa
>
>Anything wrong with this to satisfy internic or am I missing something or is
>anything incorrect

It looks fine to me.  The A records for ns1 and ns2 in hisdomain.com don't
seem to be necessary (you only reference ns1.mydomain.com and
ns2.mydomain.com -- there's no mention of ns1.hisdomain.com or
ns2.hisdomain.com).

I also don't know what you mean by "satisfy internic".  The only thing you
have to do to satisfy them is pay their fees.  They don't check whether the
registered servers are running (a few years ago they announced that they
were going to institute a lame server check, but they never implemented
it).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com