After inserting 2nd NIC my cable modem stops working

Chris Dickens chrisdickens at my-deja.com
Wed Sep 8 17:27:29 UTC 1999

Actually, what I did was I did "config t" -> "interface cable 0" and
edited the interface's "mac address" to the dotted triple from my older
RCA CM thinking that that would be sufficient (and I wouldn't have to
bother @Home) But it appears to be more than just the MAC address, OR
changing this mac address via the terminal still doesn't change the
address that's sent out on a DHCP request. (What could it be useful
for?) 8-)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Chris

In article <37D681D2.47335B65 at cisco.com>,
  Michael Voight <mvoight at cisco.com> wrote:
> Right Chris,
>
> ISPs call us to set up DHCP to only allow certain MACs or Vendor code
> in.
> The reason, I am told, is because people could just throw any CM onto
> there line the CATV is coming in on.
>
> Michael
>
> Chris Dickens wrote:
> >
> > Chris:
> >
> > Thanks so much for your assistance, I think it's all because I
thought
> > I could set it up without telling @Home of my new MAC address.  I
have
> > finally found someone with Intermedia at Home that may be able to get
my
> > new modem provisioned.  The problem was originally that the router
> > would not connect to the cable network after finding both the
upstream
> > and downstream carrier's on the cable line, it'd get T3 Timeouts or
> > DHCP Watchdog timeouts on my "show contr cable 0 mac errors" while
> > initializing and would consequently give up trying to get on the
> > network.
> >
> > I'll be in touch by e-mail if you wouldn't mind I retain your
> > assistance at a future time though. 8-)
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --Chris
> >
> > In article <W0pB3.6268$N36.97914 at news1.rdc1.sdca.home.com>,
> >   "Chris Hickman" <cpwh1 at home.com> wrote:
> > > Chris my name is also chris I have several years experance with
cisco
> > > routers, and modems what kind of trouble are you having. maybe I
can
> > help.
> > >
> > > ---Chris H.
> > >
> > > Chris Dickens <chrisdickens at my-deja.com> wrote in message