Moving the binaries

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 9 16:24:13 UTC 1999

Jeff Kennedy asked (TWICE!):
> OK, I compiled 8.2.1 successfully and installed it successfully on
> Solaris 2.6.  I changed the startup scripts to point to
> /usr/local/sbin for named.  It starts and returns correct info under
> nslookup (although it is not connected to the network it returns local
> info correctly).
>
> Now, the script to start DNS was changed from /usr/sbin/in.named to
> /usr/local/sbin/named.  No problem.  Now what about nslookup?  I'm
> currently using the default in /bin/nslookup but would much prefer to
> use the newer one in /usr/local/bin.  Can I just copy the new binary
> over the old one?  And if so, should I copy the new named over the old
> in.named while I'm at it?

First off - hey, everybody, listen, up! - NEVER post to both the
mailing list and the newsgroup, since they are gatewayeed to each
other, and you end up posting twice.  Or more.

Second off - this is a local systems management issue.  Do what you
want.  However, me, Joe, I would at least keep a reference copy of the
old versions somewhere [preferably unexecutable and not in a $PATH].

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B