A Newbie RFC2327 Question

Sinan Alyuruk sinan at verisoft.com.tr
Sun Sep 12 00:08:34 UTC 1999

Hello,

My question is related with multiple domain names registered under the same
network and their reverse lookups.

Assume that I have a C class network  like 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 (24
bits no subnets!!)  and there has been couple of registered  domains names
under this network.
Like A.com, B.com and C.com

I wish to assing :
host.A.com to  192.168.0.10 ,  (nameserver)
host.B.com to 192.168.0.11 and
host1.C.com to 192.168.0.12.

My point is all three hosts 'reverse lookups' must work properly. I did a
boot.conf like :

 options {
          directory "/var/named";
 };

  zone "." {
          type hint;
          file "root.hints";
  };

  zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
          type master;
          file "named.127.0.0";
  };

 zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
          type master;
          file "named.0.168.192";
  };

  zone "A.com" {
          type master;
          file "named.A.com";
 };

  zone "B.com" {
          type master;
          file "named.B.com";
  };

  zone "C.com" {
          type master;
          file "named.C.com";
  };

According to RFC2327, my named.0.168.192 file  should look like below if the
host.A.com is only one authoritative namserver for all three zones.

named.0.168.192 file:
$ORIGIN 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
@                IN    SOA    host.A.com    hostmaster.A.com (
                            9907301      ; serial
                            5M              ; refresh
                            1M              ; retry
                            2W              ; expiry
                            12H )           ; minimum
   ;
                      IN     NS   host.A.com.
;
   10               PTR     host.A.com.
   11               PTR     host.B.com.
   12               PTR     host.C.com.

is this above configurations ok for my hosts reverse lookups work?

Thanks in advance
Sinan