A Newbie RFC2327 Question

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 13 15:01:06 UTC 1999

In article <rtlrlgq31iv88 at news.supernews.com>,
Sinan Alyuruk <sinan at verisoft.com.tr> wrote:
>According to RFC2327, my named.0.168.192 file  should look like below if the
>host.A.com is only one authoritative namserver for all three zones.

I don't think you have the right RFC there.  2327 is titled "SDP: Session
Description Protocol" and has nothing to do with DNS.  Did you mean RFC
2317?  That's about reverse DNS for subnets smaller than a class C, so it
doesn't seem relevant to your question, either.

>named.0.168.192 file:
>$ORIGIN 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
>@                IN    SOA    host.A.com    hostmaster.A.com (
>                            9907301      ; serial
>                            5M              ; refresh
>                            1M              ; retry
>                            2W              ; expiry
>                            12H )           ; minimum
>   ;
>                      IN     NS   host.A.com.
>;
>   10               PTR     host.A.com.
>   11               PTR     host.B.com.
>   12               PTR     host.C.com.
>
>is this above configurations ok for my hosts reverse lookups work?

Structurally, it's fine.  However, you said that the name of 192.168.0.12
was host1.C.com, so the last line should be:

   12               PTR     host1.C.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com