DNS upgrade from bind v4 to bind v8

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 15 14:28:07 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.990915122848.6101A-100000 at compaq.col.com.ph>,
 <darkwing at compaq.col.com.ph> wrote:
>	i want to upgrade my dns using bind 8. I've heard that the
>configuration file in version 8 is no longer named.boot but named.conf.
>I just want to know if what in particular will i have to upgrade of modify
>on my dns setup. Do i need to upgrade my named daemon or upgrade
>something? change my configuration in my named.boot? and do i have to
>modify my current zone files? Hope to hear from u guyz ASAP.. Thanks and
>God Bless..!!

You will need to upgrade your named and named-xfer programs.  You will need
to convert your named.boot file to named.conf syntax; there's a script
called named-bootconf that comes with BIND 8 that will automate this for
you.

If you upgrade to BIND 8.2 or newer, you will need to add $TTL directives
to all your master zone files.  There was a thread earlier this week about
upgrading BIND, see that thread for more details about this.  I will *not*
answer emails about it, since I don't think there's a possible question you
could ask that isn't already answered in that thread.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com