required MX and A records?

Waldvogel kramagram at my-deja.com
Thu Sep 16 19:44:05 UTC 1999

I have a private net, and want sendmail to:
- immediately deliver emails addressed to someuser at privatenet.com
- relay emails addressed to any other domain to my ISP's mailserver

sendmail and named run on the same host, called dns_host.

I'm not sure what the MX record(s) should look like. Here's my guess:
dns_host.privatenet.com.   IN    A      192.168.0.2
privatenet.com.            IN    MX  10 dns_host.privatenet.com.
mail.myISP.com.            IN    A      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                           IN    MX     10       myISP.com.

Q1. Do I need to place the last two records in a separate zone?
Q2. Is the last record one of those 'wildcards' I've seen advised
against? If so, what's a better solution?
Q3. Can you tell me what else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/