required MX and A records?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Sep 16 19:58:02 UTC 1999

In article <7rrha1$rh7$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
Waldvogel  <kramagram at my-deja.com> wrote:
>I have a private net, and want sendmail to:
>- immediately deliver emails addressed to someuser at privatenet.com

Configure this in sendmail.cf with:

Cw privatenet.com

>- relay emails addressed to any other domain to my ISP's mailserver

You need to configure the mail relay in your sendmail.cf.  Something like:

DLmail.myISP.com

I'm not precisely sure of this macro letter, it might be R rather than L.
comp.mail.sendmail is the best place to ask questions about sendmail
configuration.

>sendmail and named run on the same host, called dns_host.
>
>I'm not sure what the MX record(s) should look like. Here's my guess:
>dns_host.privatenet.com.   IN    A      192.168.0.2
>privatenet.com.            IN    MX  10 dns_host.privatenet.com.

Underscores aren't allowed in hostnames in DNS.

>mail.myISP.com.            IN    A      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>                           IN    MX     10       myISP.com.
>
>Q1. Do I need to place the last two records in a separate zone?

They should be in the myISP.com zone.  Or you could do:

myISPmailer.privatenet.com.  IN A  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You just need a name that translates to your ISP's mail server address,
which you can put in the sendmail.cf

>Q2. Is the last record one of those 'wildcards' I've seen advised
>against? If so, what's a better solution?

No, a wildcard is a record whose name is "*".  The last line is an MX
record for mail.myISP.com (an indented line is another record for the same
name as the previous line).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com