required MX and A records?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 16 20:02:07 UTC 1999

> I have a private net, and want sendmail to:
> - immediately deliver emails addressed to someuser at privatenet.com
> - relay emails addressed to any other domain to my ISP's mailserver
>
> sendmail and named run on the same host, called dns_host.
>
> I'm not sure what the MX record(s) should look like. Here's my guess:
> dns_host.privatenet.com.   IN    A      192.168.0.2
> privatenet.com.            IN    MX  10 dns_host.privatenet.com.
> mail.myISP.com.            IN    A      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>                            IN    MX     10       myISP.com.
>
> Q1. Do I need to place the last two records in a separate zone?

The last two records should be in the bit bucket.  ;-)  They will be
rejected by BIND 8.*, anyway.  The mail "relay" should be specified in
the sendmail.cf file.  Your DNS should be concerned with YOUR zone,
only.

> Q2. Is the last record one of those 'wildcards' I've seen advised
> against? If so, what's a better solution?

No.  Wildcards contain "*".  See above.

> Q3. Can you tell me what else I'm missing?

DNS and BIND, by Albitz & Liu?  ;-)

Sendmail, by Fred Avolio?  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B