Authoratative confusion

Matt Anderson m at a.my.domain
Mon Sep 20 04:44:10 UTC 1999

Hi,

I'll explain my situation before I present the problem.

Our domain, aisoftware.com.au, was being hosted by another company's web
servers and their DNS boxes were authoratative for the domain.  We have now
set up our own DNS servers and have had the other company remove their
delegation.

The problem - even tho they have removed all the zone files, and I have
created zone files and made the necessary entries to the named.conf file, it
seems as though the other company's servers are still authoratative for our
domain.  According to them my simple act of setting up the delegation etc,
should have been enough to update the DNS but I think there must be a
missing link in the chain here somewhere.

To take delegation of a domain, what more do I need to do besides set up
BIND?  Can I have the box that I want to become the domain referencing
itself in DNS?  ie.  domain aisoftware.com.au is delegated by
supremedalek.aisoftware.com.au in 210.9.89.219

If required I can post my named.conf and zone files.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Anderson